I Believe I Can Fly
I had a unique experience this weekend. I met a group of 50 people from around the world who jump off of buildings for fun. They were here in KL for a charity event, jumping from KL Tower. KL Tower is like the Space Needle in Seattle. It is over 1000 feet high. When I first met these guys, I thought they were giving me a line and were really in town for an accountants convention or something, but Friday morning they started somersaulting off of KL Tower and didn't stop until this evening.
Friday I got to watch from the ground for a short while before heading off to class, today, I got to go to the top... it really messes with your mind watching people freefall from 1000 ft in the air. Is it blatent disregard for your own life, or is it an affirmation of life? Two people had accidents over these three days. A string snapped on one guys parachute... He landed in the canopy of the trees below. He didn't get a scratch, and is one very very lucky guy. Another guy hit a building on the way down, but only sustained a dislocated shoulder and two missing teeth. But people kept jumping... It was like a playground slide for adults... Up to the top, down, repeat. Part of me can't imagine ever doing something like that, but a bigger part of me really wants to try it! Don't worry mom, it'll be awhile before I get around to it...
What I found the funniest were the folks who went jumping off random buildings in the middle of the night (call it extra ciricular jumping...). Funny scary that is... Walking into a random highrise, in parachute gear with a backpack, asking the security guard where the stairs are, and off they go... I can't imagine that would fly in America these days (excuse the pun)...
Anyway, in my never ending quest to learn about other cultures, this weekend I got a lesson in a different kind of culture... :-)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home