Friday, November 11, 2005

A Little Rant...

Okay, I do try to keep most of my ramblings here on a positive note... but GRRRRR... I gotta vent about this one. Cellphones. I have one, and I don't know what I'd do without it, BUT, over here? There is no such thing as cellphone ettiquette... Your out with a friend having dinner, phone rings, they proceed to have a 20 minute conversation while you're sitting across from them. Got class? No problem, whether you're the lecturer or the student, perfectly okay to answer the phone AND have a conversation while the class is in session...

Today took the cake though... In class, one and a half hours to answer three questions, for 50% of my final grade. The INSTRUCTORS phone, not only rings, but she picks it up and talks for 10 minutes!!!! You have got to be kidding me? Completely lost my concentration, and had to work VERY hard not to lose my temper...

Fact is though, over here, it's my problem. It's become part of the culture, and no matter how much foot stomping I do, it's not going to change... but it doesn't mean I have to like it...

1 Comments:

Blogger Lucio said...

You know what, Meredith? It's not your problem. A professor talking on a cell phone during an exam?! You've got to be kidding me! Just because you're a foreigner in a strange land does not mean you should tolerate inconsiderate behavior. Rudeness is not a cultural asset. If you don't get the grade you deserve on the test, demand a retest! Otherwise file a protest! Professionalism should be demanded from educators regardless of their ethnicity or cultural heritage. Speak up on this one.

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home