Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Slipping Out of One Reality... and into another

So, for the moment, my blog address is rather misleading. Because, for the moment, dudie is not in Malaysia, but actually in DC. I arrived yesterday after what can only be described as a hellacious trip over. I usually weather these long trips pretty well, and manage to accomplish some heavy reading, writing, and a bit of sleeping, but this was one of the not so fun. I already described a lot of it below, so I'm not going to bitch and moan about it too much longer. My plane didn't crash and I got here in one piece, suffice it to say it was an unfun trip. The icing on the unfun cake was, upon my arrival in DC, discovering that my bag was still off sight-seeing in London, to arrive here at some as yet, undetermined date. Hopefully today. In the meantime, I have no clothing but what I wore over, none of my toiletries, and none of the gifts I'd gotten for everyone. I'm just praying it all arrives in one piece.

So, I got out of the airport, and was still so irked that I barely took the time to realize I was back in America after a 10 month absence. I went and picked up my rental car, and went to get into the wrong side! Oops. Took me a second to get myself straight again, but off I went. To Target. To buy a fleece so I wouldn't completely freeze while I wait for the rest of my clothing to arrive. It was then that it struck me that I felt like I'd never left. It's like slipping out of a time warp. I find myself so far removed from life there, and every aspect of it, that it's almost as if, by stepping off of the plane in this place that also seems normal to me, it has ceased to exist, for me, until I return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home