Sunday, January 15, 2006

The Accidentally Perfect Day

I’m absolutely filthy. My white tank top is covered in smudges, my feet wet and muddy, and the tile floor around me is awash in a puddle of bleach and hot water the size of Lake Michigan. And I’m happy. Today is the kind of day that is just satisfying to my soul. It’s Sunday. I woke up a little late this morning, cat sitting on my chest, maybe a little miffed that breakfast was a bit late in coming. The sun had long come up and was shining through the curtains. I shuffled around, got my coffee, my breakfast, checked my email. My inbox had four emails in it, and all were nice greetings from people I care about. No spam, nothing demanding. Just a nice slow Sunday read. And I pondered what to do with the day. The sun was shining, and the day had incredible potential.

So I put on my most comfortable clothes and started cleaning my apartment. Say what you will, but getting dirty cleaning on a Sunday afternoon can be a really nice way to spend the day. Perhaps because I don’t do it very often that I enjoy it so much when I do. Indeed the dirt smudges are from the dust dinosaurs I was cleaning off of the ceiling fan where they’d been swinging around doing acrobatics for a month or two. No, there is definitely something very Zen about the act of cleaning. It helps that I live alone and I can play my music as loud as I like, wear what I want, dance around singing with the mop, and just generally enjoy the feeling of dancing like no one is watching...

Somewhere in the midst of my cleaning, the sky got dark, and started rumbling. A fantastic cool breeze blew through the doors and windows. I turned the music down, and curled up on the couch with one of the cats and had a cat nap. Literally. In my mind, you couldn’t have created a better day if you’d scripted it.

I danced with the mop some more. I knocked over the bucket full of water. All of my towels are in the washing machine. I smiled and slowly started pushing the excess water out the door. Turned the music up louder, sloshed around in the puddle, figuring if I spread it out enough it’ll eventually dry. I suspect it will. In the meantime I’ve got my feet up on the coffee table. Thinking. There’s no lesson in a day like today. This blog has absolutely no point. I love it.

Soon enough life goes back to it’s usual dizzying pace. But for the moment, it’s just me, the cool breeze, a couple of slumbering kitties, and the gi-normous puddle on my living room floor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home