Four down, Three to go...
7:00pm and I'm ready to fall over I'm so tired. Finished 70 pages of writing, all to be turned in in the morning. Have about another 30-40 to complete before the end of the exam period. But for the next three days I'll concentrate mostly on the reading end of things for my exams on Friday and Saturday morning. So if I'm so tired, and been writing so much, why blog, you ask?
Well.... water is on the stove boiling for the pasta I'm about to make for dinner and if I turn on the TV I'm likely to get sucked into that and not crack a book for the rest of the night. Beyond that, I'm in writing mode, so why leave it just now? A friend who is out of the country for a couple of weeks sent a text message the other day saying not to get too bogged down in all the work and to make sure I got out and talked to someone other than the cats in the next couple of weeks. I said meow... ;-) He neednt worry though, my dear friend Bernard is on a mahjong kick and has been inviting us all over to play on a regular basis. I did pass up the opportunity to go dancing the other night, as I knew staying out dancing til the wee hours would not reflect well on my work ethic the following Sunday morning. Oh well, maybe after I've finished the first two exams on Saturday. Likewise I'm still meeting with my Malay tutor regularly, and we always have interesting conversations.
Lets see, today... today we talked about Brokeback Mountain and "plural marriage." I brought up the plural marriage issue after catching Larry King Live (that featured a discussion on the topic of plural marriage out in Utah and Northern Arizona) while I was at the gym the other day. Interesting to see a show like "Big Love" coming out of America where polygamy is illegal, though I've yet to catch a show like this in Malaysia, where polygamy is legal for Muslims. It definitely features in the plotlines of various dramas, from time to time, but I don't know of one where it is the main focus of the show. (That said, I'm far from an expert on Malay TV dramas, so if any of my Malaysian friends are reading this and want to correct me on this, please do.) As all the other HBO series are widely available over here, I suspect this one will be soon too.
My Malay-English dictionary gives two translations for the word polygamy: 1.adat beristeri lebih daripada seorang pada masa yang sama, 2.poligami
Anyway, as I said, the conversation is never dull... and I always learn something new... :-)
Anyway, noodles are soggy and it's time to get back to studying...

1 Comments:
i miss chatting with u in malay. we dun do that anymore. we should, at least 10 sentences when we meet :P
Post a Comment
<< Home