East Timor
Linked to this entry (click on title) is an article about the on-going problems in East Timor right now. I added it because, as I mentioned in an ealier blog, I am currently hosting a would be Timor NGO worker who was unable to go there and is pretty much existing in limbo at the moment, having quite her job in the states to come over and take this position. Beyond that though, the article really highlights an issue that many newly emerging democracies are facing all over the world right now. That is, how long does it take to build a stable country? More so, WHAT does it take? How much violence and struggle for power is inevitable? IS it inevitable? How much can the UN accomplish and what DOES happen once they leave these countries?
Anyway, not lecturing, just posing some questions. THe article is worth a read. The couple profiled in the article worked with the group that my friend is supposed to be working with in Timor, if they ever get back there, which is what brought my attention to the article.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home