Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Happy Returns to KL

It's nice to be back in KL. I feel like a rolling stone lately, with all of the traveling. I know you all think I seem perfectly happy to live out of a suitcase for all of eternity, but the truth is, it really wears on you after awhile. This triangular journey KL to Indonesia to KL to Singapore has been necessary to get the propoer materials to put together this thesis of mine. I think I have most of what I need, now I'm to the banging-my-head-against-the-computer-screen part, where I try to put it all into something coherent. It would be easier if I were writing a thesis on a country like Singapore or Brunei that is small and therefore more homogenous in it's social-political structure. But, I've never been one to do things the easy way, even when it's the better way, so why start now?

Anyway, while I was in Singapore I was able to attend a couple of interesting lectures on the region at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, where I did my research as well. As I mentioned before, this place is an incredibly good resource for anyone who has interest in the region. On Friday I was able to attend a lecture on the row between Malaysia's current Prime Minister Pak Lah and his predecessor the fiery Dr.M. The talk was given by Steven Gan, the chief editor of MalaysiaKini and an ex-Minister of Parliament from Johor. I was really surprised to find a standing room only crowd attending this lecture. I'd estimate there were at least 150 people packed into this small lecture room. For people here, the row is significant and has the potential to seriously alter the state of politics in Malaysia.

Another good talk was given on the social-economic effects of natural disasters in Indonesia, specifically focusing on the recent earthquake in Java. SOme of the more interesting points the lecturer and his wife (who was in Jogja during the quake) mentioned: 1. Natural disasters in Indonesia, particularly the ones that recieve a lot of press coverage are actually economically beneficial due to the massive influx of aid money. THis is the case in Aceh where the tsunami hit, as well as in Jogja, though I question whether the same could be said of the areas that are hit with the smaller but still destructive disasters, like the landslides in Sualwesi last week. 2. The spirit of solidarity and cooperation often ends when money is handed out to the victims. 3. That there is a man who lives near to Mt.Merapi who is keeping it from erupting. (This is only surprising if you don't know anything about Javanese mystic beliefs, but it is still quite interesting.)

Anyway, as I said, happy to be back in my home-for-now. Happy to be back in the less expensive city, with lots of nice people and free internet. :-) Now, back to that head banging...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home