Odd Sightings...
Singapore. Again, Yes, more research. I know, if you were here and you were me, instead of going to the same places over again, you would try somewhere entirely new everytime. Well, I would too, if the purpose of this travel weren't to do research that can only be done in these places. Here I've found the best library hands down. They have an amazing collection of books, journals, and other research I've not seen anywhere else. I could spend a month there, but I will have to settle for three or four days instead.
Anyway, last night, wandering around Clark Quay, an area of old Chinese shophouses converted to bars and restaurants, we happened upon a rather strange sight. A group of 30 or so men and a couple of women playing rock music and even rap. What made this strange? They were in full Navy uniform, and they spoke with an accent I'm quite familiar with. It was none other than the US Navy Professional Band. In the middle of a bunch of bars in Singapore on a Saturday night. The crowd loved them and they were quite good... though it was a bit difficult to reconcile the people in the crisp Navy uniforms to the voices singing rap... odd, bizarre, whatever...
But, they were hit. Perhaps they should do this more often... :-)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home