Monday, June 05, 2006

Time to Start Praying?

Last year, Malaysia ranked number one in per capita road fatalities... IN THE WORLD. At least of those that were accurately recorded. (I suspect that it's actually much worse in some countries, but that their lack of accurate record keeping precludes the ability to accurately rank them). Anyway, I've already taken my chances with the motorbike... But this weekend, I started driving a car. D decided to rent one so we could see some of Malaysia on the weekends, as bus travel is impractical for two day trips due to slow service and breakdowns. We often joke here that people drive so poorly because they are so devoutly religious that they feel like god will look out for them, no matter how negligent they are on the roads. Having nearly been hit twice this weekend by people who saw no reason to stop for those big signs that say BERHENTI (STOP), I beg to differ. Nonetheless, one does wonder if it's time to start praying. ;-)

Having been here a year and change, you would think I'd be used to being on the other side of the road again (I drove in Australia for a year, so it isn't completely alien to me)... Once I'm driving I'm fine, but I STILL go to get into the wrong side of the car when I've got the keys in my hand...

I had to make a trip to Melaka (about two hours south of here) anyway, so having the car worked out well. I took Lilach down and we nosed around and saw some of the historical sights there (of which there are many). I'm off to Indonesia today, so don't have time to write about all of it now. If you've seen the mammoth scrap books I made of my Asia-Australia trip 8 years ago, then some of these pics might look familiar to you.

I left Lilach in Melaka, and she took off for Tioman Island while she continues to wait to find out what her assignment will ultimately be over here in Asia... And as I said, I'm off for Indonesia for the next 10 days or so to work on my thesis and speak lots of Bahasa...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home