When I started studying the Indonesian language when I was still at the University of Arizona, my tutor used to tell me about how gracious and welcoming Indonesians could be. She lived here in the mid-70's, and I surmise from her stories that she had some very good experiences and some not so good experiences. Nonetheless, everytime I come here I am truly humbled by the hospitality of everyone I meet. As an article in the Jakarta Post pointed out yesterday, this is Indonesian culture.
My trip this time around only proves again the truth of that statement. From the taxi drivers to the people I've met in the course of my research, Jakarta has once again proved an overwhelmingly positive experience. (Save for the smoggy air, which is not helping me get rid of this nagging cough.)
Right now, the signs of the recent tragedy in Yogyakarta are everywhere here in Jakarta (about an 8 hour drive from the site of the earthquake), with signs everywhere collecting donations to help the survivors rebuild. And last night, as we pulled up to our hotel, we were let off in the middle of a convoy of military personnel from Qatar who have flown in to provide assistance.
I always enjoy my visits to Jakarta, it's a very different world from Kuala Lumpur.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home